- A processing fee of $200 is required for first time applicants to a graduate degree program.
- The Graduate Student Services Office will only process applications which are submitted with an application fee. The processing fee is non-refundable. Please make the check payable to: Columbia Video Network.
- Applications for more than one degree program cannot be processed simultaneously.
Please note: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Once a completed application has been received it will be processed and given to the Admissions Committee for review. Applications will be considered for the next upcoming semester's admissions cycle. For example, an application received in February will be evaluated for the upcoming Summer semester. Only completed applications will be submitted to the Admissions Committee for review.
Please refer to the Requirements & Courses section of this degree program to determine what materials must be submitted with your application. Requirements vary slightly from department to department, so it is important to read this information carefully.
- Official transcripts from each college/university you have attended or are currently attending must be submitted with the application. Transcripts must be in the original, sealed envelope.
- Credits which appear as transfer credits on any other transcript are not valid; an official transcript from the school where the credits were earned must be submitted.
- Students who have previously or are currently enrolled at Columbia University must request that copies of their transcripts be sent to CVN at Columbia Video Network, 500 W 120th St, 540 MUDD, MC 4719, New York, NY 10027
- The Graduate Student Services Office requests that transcripts be submitted with the application. If you foresee a delay in submitting official transcripts, please attach an unofficial set to the application. Your file may be reviewed by the department with a complete set of unofficial documents; however, you will be required to submit official transcripts before you will be formally admitted to a graduate degree program.
- All materials submitted in support of an application, whether official or unofficial, become the property of Columbia University and will not be returned to the applicant or forwarded to other schools or agencies. Since your documents will not be returned, we suggest that you keep copies of any documents you may need for your personal records.
Required Exam Scores
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) general test results are required of all MS applicants. GRE scores are valid for 5 years.
- TOEFL or IELTS is required of all candidates who have not received their bachelor's degree in a country where English is the official spoken language. TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for two years.
- All score reports must be official and sent to Graduate Admissions directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS).
- The Columbia Engineering CEEB code is 2111 (not 2162 which belongs to the Graduate School of Arts and Science).
These application materials are designed to help individuals provide personal and academic information about themselves, which will be used to evaluate their candidacy for admission to graduate study in the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science at Columbia University. Applicants can assist the Graduate Admissions office in providing prompt feedback about their application status by not submitting extraneous information which has not been requested such as excessive numbers of recommendation letters, copies of abstracts and theses, videotapes and/or photographs of research work, and secondary school transcripts. The information below indicates what items are required for a complete application.
- Two recommendation letters in sealed envelopes via mail, or directly from the recommender via e-mail to email@example.com
- Official GRE general exam results
- All score reports must be official and sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS)
- The Columbia Engineering CEEB code is 2111
- TOEFL or IELTS test results (if applicable)
- One copy of official transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary colleges/universities
- Personal/Professional Statement - a concise (not more than two pages) typewritten statement outlining your academic and professional goals
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- $200 Application Fee
Please note: Students that begin their studies at Columbia University under non-matriculated status through CVN must continue to take all of their coursework through CVN. When applying for admission to a degree program, students must submit all of their application materials directly to Columbia Video Network for processing. Applications that are sent directly to the Office of Graduate Student Services or submitted online via the ApplyYourself Application form instead of CVN's forms will result in total forfeiture of all credits taken under non-matriculated status through CVN. All Columbia courses to be used towards a student's program must be completed via CVN. Also note that any student taking courses through the auspices of CVN can take on-campus courses solely under the administrative guidance of CVN with advisor approval. To enroll in an on-campus course, please send an email to:
If you have any questions, please contact the CVN Records Team at: (212) 854-6441.
Please make checks payable to Columbia Video Network, and mail all application materials to:
Columbia Video Network
Attn: Graduate Admissions
500 W 120th St
540 MUDD, MC: 4719
New York, NY 10027
Please keep a copy of all materials that you submit to CVN for your own records. CVN suggests that you submit your application materials by courier service in order to allow you to track shipments.
NOTE:In order to maintain accuracy of records, please provide the same name on your application that you have had as a CVN student. In case of any name change, please go ahead and contact the CVN office immediately to verify. Failure to update CVN could result in having an erroneous name on your graduation diploma. All admission enquiries should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.